Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Blackwater critic cops plea in assault of woman

A leading congressional critic of Blackwater has pleaded guilty in a case involving his alleged assault of a woman at Dulles International Airport near Washington, DC.

Congressman Bob Filner (D-Cal.) admitted he was guilty of trespassing, and copped an "Alford Plea" in which he did not admit guilt for assault and battery but did acknowledge that there was sufficient evidence to convict him. Rather than face trial for assault and battery, the crime with which he had been charged, Filner cut a deal and pled guilty to trespassing.


The congressman was to have stood trial for assault and battery on December 4.

In the August 19 incident at Dulles, Filner got agitated that his bags were being handled too slowly and violated security by illegally entering an employees-only area of the airport. It was there he entered the altercation with the woman who worked for an airline. He allegedly assaulted her.

"I want to make clear that I did not strike, push, or shove anyone,'' Filner said while copping his plea. ''It's very important to me that the record be clear on this point. Nor did I seek any sort of special treatment because I was a congressman."

1 comment:

--TIM said...

All I know is that if I was "not guilty" of assault in an instance like this one, I sure wouldn't be copping any "plea".

His arrogance and "holier-than-thou" attitude at this airport should infuriate his constituents, and I hope they toss him out!