Wednesday, October 10, 2007

An anti-war defense of Blackwater

An anti-war writer argues that the hiring of private contractors like Blackwater is consistent with the nation's heritage and that the practice could actually prevent future, large-scale wars. He also urges anti-war activists to oppose the war but not to oppose the troops or the contractors.

Paul Gessing, a senior editor for FreeLiberal.com, says, "Let’s be clear here. I opposed the Iraq War from the very beginning and, if it were my decision, I’d bring the troops home right away. That said, I think the ongoing controversy over the presence of Blackwater and other private security firms in Iraq has been vastly overblown by the left and those who oppose the Iraq War. In fact, I believe and will argue that the so-called 'contracting out' of this and future wars will actually further efforts to prevent future, large-scale military conflicts."

Click here for the full text of Gessing's essay.

No comments: